.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shine a Light

This blog serves as the dj commentary for the podcast Shine a Light, for which the RSS link is http://profiles.blipmedia.org/elevatorlady/podcast.xml


The road to heaven is paved with rock and roll.
"I think we're gonna find a path tonight...." - Kristin Hersh

My Photo
Name:
Location: Memphis, Tennessee, United States

i wear bifocals. i still can't ride a bike. i drive my granny's 1989 delta 88 oldsmobile with my brand new driver license. i wish i wasn't in college but i am still here because i expect that i'll be grateful for it one day. i am making a brilliant film. i rock the moves and the mic in Scandaliz Vandalistz and TRASH TRASH TRASH. i go to sleep when i am hungry. i'd rather be on tour. i am so shy. ready to die.

Monday, September 19, 2005

first foot

00:00-03:50...The Mountain Goats - This Year
I couldn't resist starting out with this one. "I am gonna make it through this year if it kills me." Ain't it the truth. The new album, The Sunset Tree is great, and apparently this is the first album on which John Darnielle has written about his own personal experiences. He has a cast of characters about which he usually writes, but he has temporarily thrown them out the window. I'm kind of wondering if that's part of the reason why this is possibly his best album yet. P.S. If you get a chance, SEE THIS BAND LIVE because it is amazing. I saw them a few months ago on the tour supporting the new album and it was mindblowing. Recommended.

03:51-07:23...Lady Sovereign - 9 to 5
I want to say that I relate, but I'm not really overworked. I'm just depressed about having to get up in the morning and do what I do, so I'm sort of pretending. Mouse introduced me to this British rapper, and she is brand fuckin new. She doesn't even have a full length album out yet, so this is a treat. I think she's fun and will definitely look for a release in the coming year.

07:24-11:14...The White Stripes - Red Rain
Leroy's favorite song on Get Behind Me, Satan, if I am not mistaken. And a fine choice. It sounds a little fuzzier than it should on my 128kbps podcast, but you can get the jist of it. Genius. Unfortunately, not all the songs on the album are this good, but they are definitely all very different. The Whites are headed in a great direction, if you ask me, and I can't wait to see where they go.

11:15-13:35...Pixies - Bailey's Walk
This is a weird one that can be found on the Complete B-Sides CD if you are a big Pixies fan. I have been doing a lot of walking and for some reason think about this song a lot. Charles Thompson, as always, switches from screams to manic desperation as he simply describes the way Bailey walks. No one else, my friends. I could spend days describing my love of Pixies, but oh oh oh I don't have the time... Simply put, I love the band (mostly, the man). But you know that already. Another must-see performance.

13:36-18:14...Interpol - Public Pervert
I can't help it, I love this band. I saw them in a Seventeen article at my orthodontist's office recently and was stupefied. I had no idea they were well-known in pop culture! Well, obviously I'm out of it. I'm 18 and already an old bag lady, behind on the times. But seriously, I know Paul Banks is gorgeous, but his lyrics are just as stunning. I am surprised every time I listen to them. Antics was a huge step for them, I am always impressed when a band's second album is that good. Lots of growth. Very rock and roll.

18:15-21:27...M.I.A/Diplo - Pop
If you haven't heard Sri Lankan rapper M.I.A., I apologize for introducing you to her with this song, partly because it's a little slow and partly because of its strange origin. Before her album Arular was released in the US, she and dj Diplo Hollertronix put together Piracy Funds Terrorism, a mixtape of M.I.A.'s voice over beats of American rap songs. Slightly unfortunately, I heard Piracy first and am still a little disappointed when listening to the official release. But whichever one you like better, M.I.A. is definitely worth your time. While photographing Elastica on a US tour, opening act Peaches first introduced M.I.A. to the sequencer, and with a teacher like that, how can you not be great? M.I.A. fuses a fierce political voice with crazy sex fun. There is no turning her down.

21:28-25:46...Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek
Admittedly, I have only heard this song because I own a leaked copy (thanks, John Tom) of Imogen's soon to be released Speak for Yourself, but isn't it amazing? You may recognize her voice as the lead singer of Frou Frou, but Miss Heap has been making solo albums since before the band existed. This is probably the weirdest song on the album, so sorry if I'm being misleading. Usually she has more of a singer-songwriter style, which is good, but this song is simply breathtaking. Hope you agree.


MP3 version

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home