.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shine a Light

This blog serves as the dj commentary for the podcast Shine a Light, for which the RSS link is http://profiles.blipmedia.org/elevatorlady/podcast.xml


The road to heaven is paved with rock and roll.
"I think we're gonna find a path tonight...." - Kristin Hersh

My Photo
Name:
Location: Memphis, Tennessee, United States

i wear bifocals. i still can't ride a bike. i drive my granny's 1989 delta 88 oldsmobile with my brand new driver license. i wish i wasn't in college but i am still here because i expect that i'll be grateful for it one day. i am making a brilliant film. i rock the moves and the mic in Scandaliz Vandalistz and TRASH TRASH TRASH. i go to sleep when i am hungry. i'd rather be on tour. i am so shy. ready to die.

Monday, September 26, 2005

manly men

This is about the past few days, mostly my weekend. Turns out that it is all men! Strange? I think so. It's also a little sad, so look out.

00:00-01:31...The Mae Shi - You Can't Do That To An Axe
How much fun one band have? Is this even fair? The Mae Shi are an AWESOME band on one of my favorite record labels, Kill Rock Stars. Based in Los Angeles, their music can only be described as "noise rock" and none of the tracks on their albums would resemble "songs" if you're looking for verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus layout. These songs just exist, and it's amazing. This one in particular can be found on the EP To Hit Armor Class Zero. Their website opens with a huge header reading, "We're the best the same way you're the best" and offers some cool free MP3s such as "Summer in Gommorah" and, one of my personal favorites, "Vampire Beats."

01:32-05:33...The Faint - Let the Posion Spill From Your Throat
One of the group favorites among my friends. We always love dancing to the Faint, whether hanging out in William Faulkner's cabin or hotboxing in a college parking lot, as with this weekend. What can I say? This great Saddlecreek band has jumped around the musical spectrum, but Danse Macabre has got to be their greatest album. The violent imagery versus the manic dance music is perfect at any (weird) party. Don't diss them until you've listened to the whole album a few times through, and you will understand its magic.

05:34-09:01...The Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
After being stuck out in the rain for half an hour, you too would take retreat in any nearby car playing The Arcade Fire. This genius Canadian band is compromised of about eight great musicians who create a very weird breed of rock and roll. The strange combination of instruments (guitar, drums, bass, plus violins and xylophone) help create the whimsy of this band. The lyrics to each song create a dark fairy tale, as in this one, "Our older brother / Bit by a vampire / For a year we caught his tears in a cup / And now we're gonna make him drink it!" The neighborhood motif and family imagery are prevalent on the album Funeral, named thus after all the band member's have family members die during the recording of the album. "Our mother shoulda just named you Laika." If it helps to know, Laika was the first dog in space... but I still don't really get it.

09:02-11:15...Of Montreal - The Repudiated Immortals
Go out right now and buy The Sunlandic Twins because that is one hell of a great album. It's one of those that you can listen to over and over and be completely fascinated by something new every time. The lyrics will knock you are because they are surprisingly well-written. I have one of those horrible biases that the more poppy the song, the worse the lyrics. Of Montreal proves me wrong, and thank god for that. Much of the album is sadder than it sounds, and that is one of my favorite kinds of musical irony. I've been thinking about this song in particular lately. "I don’t cry not ’cause I don’t care / It’s very hard to feel the way we used to feel up there." Also highly recommended are the tracks "Oslo in the Summertime" and "So Begins Our Alabee." What a great band!

11:16-15:35...Modest Mouse - Doin' the Cockroach
"Ride on the Greyhound..." I listened to this yesterday on the way to the Conway bus stop (a Citgo) that would take me back to Memphis. Classic Modest Mouse -- the lisping voice, the weeping guitar, juxtaposing screams and whispers; what's not to love? This song is from The Lonesome Crowded West, which I think I can safely say is my favorite Modest Mouse album. The variety of songs is simply astounding. Sometimes you want to dance, and sometimes you want to get into bed and never come out. Both are fine as long as the album keeps playing. I couldn't get into this band for a while because they sounded so much like Pixies, but I definitely see where the tribute stops and the originality begins. I can't say I have listened to the entirety of their new album, but who would want to listen to that when this exists? Fucking beautiful music.

15:36-19:56...The Walkmen - The Rat
I saw this band on Tuesday night, and it was awesome. Unfortunately, I had a wretched headache so I couldn't enjoy the show as much as I would've liked, but I could still appreciate it. It was the only show I've ever been to where I was really alone, and this song hit me way too hard. It was the last song they played, and the energy from the band and the audience was just awesome. Everyone in the room was screaming, "When I used to go out, I'd know everyone I saw; now I go out alone, if I go out at all." Crazy community. "Can't you hear me? I'm calling out your name!" That's how this month feels. You can find this song on the album Bows and Arrows.

19:57-24:23...Aesop Rock - Daylight
"All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way." This is the most revealing, sensitive song I've ever heard by Aesop Rock. I love his music, but it's usually just insane and totally drugged out. His voice, style, and rhythms are all completely weird and I have never heard another rapper like him. I heard that he does one different drug for each album he records, but I don't know whether or not that is true. This song can be found on the album Labor Days as well as the Daylight EP which features a song called "Night Light," a different, darker take on the same song. In "Daylight," Aesop raps that "Life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman" while in "Night Light" he says "Life's not a bitch, life is a biyatch." I like this one better. It moves me. Plus, I'm sad.

MP3 version

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home