.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shine a Light

This blog serves as the dj commentary for the podcast Shine a Light, for which the RSS link is http://profiles.blipmedia.org/elevatorlady/podcast.xml


The road to heaven is paved with rock and roll.
"I think we're gonna find a path tonight...." - Kristin Hersh

My Photo
Name:
Location: Memphis, Tennessee, United States

i wear bifocals. i still can't ride a bike. i drive my granny's 1989 delta 88 oldsmobile with my brand new driver license. i wish i wasn't in college but i am still here because i expect that i'll be grateful for it one day. i am making a brilliant film. i rock the moves and the mic in Scandaliz Vandalistz and TRASH TRASH TRASH. i go to sleep when i am hungry. i'd rather be on tour. i am so shy. ready to die.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

caught in the machine

apologies for being a day late with this one, folks... i had to write a paper on Beowulf last night. damn my procrastination!

00:00-02:37...Eagles of Death Metal - Miss Alissa
Admittedly, I don't really give a shit about Queens of the Stone Age, but this band proves that Josh Homme can do SOMETHING right. He plays drums in this band, and that's enough for me. I also recommend "Kiss the Devil" and "Bad Dream Mama." More than anything, this band reminds me of crazy dancing at the cabin. How I miss the summer.

02:38-03:37...The Claps! - My Song
Recognize those hand claps? That would the one and only John Tom! This is what kids do in art school, apparently. Check them out on myspace.

03:38-06:31...Deerhoof - Wrong Time Capsule
"Will you spirit me away? You spirit me away..." I downloaded this today from the Kill Rock Stars website, which still remains probably my absolute favorite record label after all these years. I fell in love with this song immediately. Sometimes Deerhoof makes crazy music that sounds weird just to be weird, but there are lots of exceptions (the album Milk Man is amazing). I'm really looking forward to hearing The Runners Four which will be released on the 11th.

06:32-10:32...Why? - Rubber Traits
In between the Sanddollars EP and the 2003 full-length Oaklandazulasylum, Yoni Wolf decided Why? whould no longer be a solo project and enlisted a band. The result is astounding. The musical aspect has expanded to a new level, while Wolf's honest, self-aware lyrics remain intact. His ordinary desires are beautiful. "I should lower my caloric intake," "I want to kiss like taffy," and "I want a patch of blue sky to follow me." Elephant Eyelash, featuring "Rubber Traits" was released today, and I can't wait to own it. Listen to more Why? here.

10:33-14:25...Fiona Apple - Please Please Please
Finally! Today is the OFFICIAL release of Apple's 2003 album Extraordinary Machine. I am a little nervous to hear it, because a lot of hardcore fans have insisted that the Jon Brion-produced version that was leaked on the internet is much better than this one. Why didn't Sony release the original version, and what took them so long? Apparently they told Apple that there were no singles, and it wouldn't work. Luckily, she pushed it, and so did the fans. However, what we've gotten perhaps is not what Apple had in mind. In this song particulary she seems to express her disgust with the stagnant state of the music world today. "Give us something familiar, something similar to what we know already that will keep us steady, going nowhere."

14:26-17:49...The Slits - Adventures Close to Home
I cannot express how much I fucking love this band. I listened to Cut on the way home from school today, and it was perfect, as usual. This British, all-girl punk band formed in the late 1970s, around the time of the Raincoats and LiLiPUT. They are the perfect blend of playful and disorienting music, with songs exploring consumerism, drugs, addiction, marriage, independence, men (they have songs bashing Keith Levene, Sid Vicious, and Johnny Rotten), and the mundaneness of "typical girls." They are innovative, fierce, silly, and wonderful. I will loan you the album!!!! No kidding, it is essential to your development as a human.

17:50-20:51...The Microphones - Lanterns
The Microphones are a man named Phil Elvrum. One of my favorite parts in this song is when he addresses himself ("don't reach out, Phil"). Many of the Microphones' songs tell small stories or address certain changes. At the beginning of the song, Elvrum seems as if he is trying to separate himself from the rest of the world. But with the entrance of a woman's voice (I can't find a website to tell me who she is), the song changes pace. Their beautiful call and response reflects the warmth of the lanterns "pinking up the sky." However, she asks three times "What's that you hold and why is it so bright?" and he never gives her a straight answer. He is separated from her, unsure and self-loathing. "You look good in my light but my own flame flickers." He leaves before truly answering her question, before a true communication takes place. What a beautiful and sad song!

20:52-23:21...The Robot Ate Me - Bad Feelings
I don't know anything about this band except that they're on Kill Rock Stars, and I downloaded their great song today. It can be found on their album Carousel Waltz which was released in May.
"Look into her eyes and let her know why you wanna be her everything
You don't need to call it love
There's been a lot of bad life, about living
She's been feeling pretty bad about life"

MP3 version

4 Comments:

Blogger Eileen said...

I thought this was going to take forever to download but it actually started almost immeadiately. I love it!

10/06/2005 4:37 PM  
Blogger the admiral said...

yay! i'm glad.

10/07/2005 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is alice
i love you
and the eagles of death metal
tyes
yes
yes

11/03/2005 3:09 PM  
Blogger Foxy;-) said...

great blog you have here
i enjoyed it. thanks

11/03/2005 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home